eCligner by T.W. Kim (eClear ltd., Korea)
The eCligner is a further development of the Clear Aligner by T.W. Kim of Korea. Just like the Clear Aligner, a single stage of the treatment involves wearing three splints of different thicknesses at weekly intervals.
The Aligners have thicknesses of 0.5 mm (soft), 0.62 mm (medium), and 0.75 (hard) respectively. Using splints of different thicknesses is a particular feature of the Clear Aligner and eCligner in comparison to other aligner systems. There is a computer-aided 3D setup for treatment planning and production of the eCligner to help orthodontists with treatment planning and advising patients. The eCligner software not only makes it possible to calculate the treatment process in a 3D representation (3D CAD/CAM process), but also to control the movement of the teeth in a 3D format, to work out the treatment goal, length of treatment and number of splints and treat any resulting changes in profile.
Calculating any profile changes that may occur during treatment is made possible by including photos and X-rays as part of the 3D process. So, this enables the eCligner to be quickly and simply replaced if any splints are lost or if the treatment is disrupted or there is a relapse. The range of applications of the sCligner goes beyond the correction of small deviations in the front teeth. It can also be used for deep bite, open bite, Class ll and lll, crossbite, expansion and contraction of the teeth quadrants and even for extraction cases, thus covering a very wide spectrum of orthodontic treatment.
The eCligner Treatment Process:
- The silicon impressions or plaster models are sent off to the eCligner agent where they are scanned in.
- Then the patients’ images are uploaded to the eCligner Homepage.
- The orthodontist receives the suggested course of treatment which is then discussed with the patient.
- If this is accepted, the case is confirmed online.
- After about 2-3 weeks, the completed correction splints are sent to the person carrying out the treatment along with the printed intermediate models.
Of all the Aligner systems on the market, eCligner seems to come closest to the perfection of Invisalign. As is the case with Invisalign, eCligner requires only one single impression to be taken at the start of the treatment. A special certificate and software are also required.